How long I've had braces!

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Day of Extractions

Tuesday, April 1, 2014 - Day of extractions.  I was completely nervous all day, I'm not good with dental procedures.  My husband took me to my appointment and when they called me back I got even more anxious.  The dental assistant saw the nervousness in my eyes and asked if I would like to take a Valium to ease my nerves.  She also let my husband come back to help me feel more comfortable.  After taking the Valium they gave me gas and put the shots to numb the areas.  The dentist was extremely nice.  The first tooth came out but part of the root broke off because of how tight my teeth were around it.  He went to the next tooth and that one came out in one piece.  He had to use other tools to get the remaining root out and then had to stitch the area.  He used dissolving stitches so I wont have to go back to get them removed.  He said because of that happening that I would be in more pain than usual.  So he prescribed me a pain medication.  They packed my areas with gauze and gave me instructions on how to care for the area.  After getting home the areas of the extractions were throbbing bad.  There was a 30 min wait on my prescription fill.  I put ice packs on both sides of my mouth which helped some.  Once I took the pain medication about 20-30 mins later the pain went away.  I had to keep packing the areas with gauze every 30 mins.  I am now leaving the area free of gauze so hopefully the bleeding has officially stopped.  Its been 5 hours since my appointment.  Getting the teeth pulled didn't hurt, just felt a lot of pressure.  It didn't take long at all other than the mishap with my one tooth.  I hope for a quick recovery and keeping my fingers crossed I don't get dry socket.  I posted pictures below.  Sorry if you get grossed out by the teeth but I wanted to show you what happened.  I don't see much difference in my teeth yet now that its been 2 weeks since I got the braces on.  Only thing I notice is that my front teeth are easier to floss because they have moved a little from each other so they aren't so tight.  My next appointment for the rest of my brackets and wire on my top teeth is May 6th.  Hopefully after they do that I will start seeing more changes.

Thursday, April 3, 2014 - Yesterday I took off work because of my mouth throbbing so much, mainly the right side from where they had the issue of the root breaking off and I have stitches.  I took pain medicine with Ibuprofen as the dentist suggested which helped a lot.  I stayed in bed most of the day and kept ice packs on it.  Today I went to work.  My face was a little swollen where the teeth were extracted.  I put ice packs on it when I could.  I made it through the day without medicine but by the time I got home it throbbed so bad I took some medicine which helped a lot.  I also started rinsing my mouth out with warm salt water which helps.  I hope tomorrow is a better day with the pain.

Getting ready for the extractions

Extracted teeth.  You can see how the root broke off on the right tooth :(

Front view with extractions

left side view with extractions

right side view with extractions

No comments:

Post a Comment